Horlicks kek lapis ( Horlicks layer cake)
6 whole eggs
4 egg whites
approximately 330g condensed milk
200g cake flour
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 230 C using the normal top and bottom heat to
heat up the entire oven.
If your oven has grill function with
temperature control, use that. .Before putting in the batter and turn on the grill function
(approximately less than 2 minutes to warm up)
2. Line the bottom of a 9cm square pan. Prepare a water bath and put
the empty pan into the oven to warm it up for more even batter
3.Cream butter, sugar till light and fluffy.
4. In a mixing bowl, crack whole eggs and egg yolks, add in vanilla extract. Mix in
eggs one at a time, making sure the batter is well mixed before
adding the next egg.
5. Mix in condensed milk ( almost a whole can of condensed
6. Sift flour, Horlicks and salt. Fold into the batter. Whip 4 egg
whites to soft peak, gradually add caster sugar and whisk till
medium peak. Mix in with the batter.
7. Use a scoop or ladle to pour the batter in, making sure
each time, itís the same amount. Or divide them in10 separate bowls or
portions. ( about 9 layers or adjust
it up to your liking or the size of the ladle.)
8. Remove pan and water bath from oven. Turn on grill function.
Transferred the water into a smaller cake tin and left it in the
oven, this way the oven stays at a nice temperature without being too
dry or hot.
9. Spread a portion of batter into the pan. Level batter with a
spatula or tilt left and right to level the batter. Grill for 5-7
minutes or till golden.
10. Remove from oven, press cake layer to remove excess air.
11. Repeat step 9 and 10 till batter is finished. After that,
turned off the grill function and turn down the oven temperature to 180, and
let the cake bake for 10-15 minutes to let it dry a little.
Back to Recipes Index