Indonesian kek lapis (Layer cake)
( A )
10 egg yolks
110 g caster sugar
( B )
200 g butter
1 tbsp condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 egg white, whipped until stiff
( C )
60 g plain flour
1 tsp mixed spice (Mc Cormick)
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder (Mc Cormick)
Pinch of soda bicarbonate
1. Greased a 20 cm square cake pan. Preheat oven at 180c.
2. Beat A, B in separate bowls using mixer, until mixture is creamy.
Combine the two mixture together, set aside.
3. Beat up egg white until stiff and form peaks. Slowly mix into egg
and butter mixture.
4. Gradually fold in sifted C ingredients.
5. Using a ladle, spread a thin layer of mixture onto greased pan
and bake for 12 minutes, or until mixture is done. Using a fork,
prick some holes over cooked mixture to release trapped air and
press firmly with a flat greased spatula or back of a spoon. (This
process must be undertaken after each layer of batter is done to
ensure the layers sticks together).
6. Change over to Grill Function.
7. Spread another ladle of mixture over the 1st cooked layer in cake
pan. Put under Grill Function, cook for 5 minutes or until mixture
is set and done. Repeat process, layer by layer until all the
mixture is utilized.
8. When the last layer is obtained, change over to Convection of
Bake Function, temp 160c and bake for about 10 - 15 minutes or until
cake is done.
9. When cake is done, press the surface of the cake firmly with the
back of a spoon. Leave it to cool before cutting.
Back to Recipes Index